Revolver Map

Map

Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I did it for the lulz part deux

As a follow up to my post from the other night about Anonymous and their Operation UFO, I wanted to point out just how funny some people in Ufology can be. Not long after word broke that the hacktivist group may be trying to pull a fast one over on the 'True Believers' and other assorted gullible types, many online disucssion groups were all a buzz at how this was most likely a military psy-op.

The logic being that this Operation UFO was being set up because, ostensibly, the military must have known that a real event is likely to occur that night and they wished to cover it up. Lots of people online were echoing this same sentement. Now dont get me wrong I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, hell my personal motto is 'just becasue you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you', but come on be a little reasonable please. 

Sometimes things really are or can be taken at face value. In this case I think that it is entirely likely that Anonymous really is just trying to hoax or pull a prank on people for the lulz. While it's true that I can't rule out the possibility that the first person that suggested this prank was some person who had inside information about an event due to occur on Sunday. I can be willing to bet a lot of money that this is not the case.

I said in that same previous post that I thought one of the main issues with Ufology is that many young people  don't really wish to get involved in the field. Though I do believe that this is still an issue I would like to add an addendum to that posting. The main problem with this field is the amount of sheer ignorance that comes to play in it. I mean be reasonable, have there been psy-ops? Yes of course there have. Have some of them in some way been involved with Ufology? Sure I don't see why not, but surely not everything is a psy-op/disinfo project. 

It seems to me that it is high time this field grew up in a lot of ways. I mean if we ever expect to move beyond just reports of lights in skies or 'abduction' reports and get to some actual information, we will need to stop entertaining these very silly notions. Will doing this fix Ufology completely? No of course not, after all there is still the issue of some Sacred Cow's that need to be dealt with by discarding them for the old useless relics that they are. But I really think it would be a step in the right direction.


0 comments:

Post a Comment